Late Night Talk Shows – it’s more FUN in the Philippines!
Late night talk shows have been around in the Philippines for ages! This TV show genre became popular due to the influence of similar shows in the US. Here are some late night talk shows that were popular in the Philippines
1. Oh no, it’s Johnny! – Hosted by Johnny Litton, the show was aired on IBC TV-13 from 1975-78 and then moved to RPN Channel 9 where it aired from 1978-86. It finally made it’s last stop at ABS-CBN Channel 2 on 1986.
2. Two for the Road – Hosted by Elvira Manahan and Nestor Torre. This show was way ahead of its time. The original 1960’s format was very edgy and controversial but was still grounded, realistic and oh so classy (it aired again in the 80’s.) Just Google “Rita Gomez Elvira Manahan Two for the Road” and you’ll get results that are a very good read.
3. Martin [email protected] – Martin Nievera was definitely made for this. Although (and I mean this with no offense just as a natural observation) sometimes he talks too much. What made this show click was the fact that Martin is charming and musical. It ran from 1998 to 2003 on ABSCBN.
4. Gabe me a break – This talk show had its home at QTV11 (which is now NewsTV) and was hosted by Da Pulis’ lead singer, Gabe Mercado. It ran for a season back in 2007.
5. The Medyo Late Night Show with Jojo A – This is, in my opinion, one of the most hilarious and inspiring satirical and business talk show rolled in one. Jojo A is witty, intelligent and hilarious! I find the story of the show inspiring – starting from a smaller network with a set being a corner of a bar and the backdrop is literally, a night city skyline, printed on a tarp. From that humble place, they now find their home at ABC5. The Medyo Late Night Show is aired Every weekday at 12:30 AM. Watch a video I made on why I’m a fan on youtube by clicking here. Or you can check out the video on the sidebar.