Best Breakfast Places in Manila
A former co-worker of mine sent me a question on where the best breakfast places in Manila are.
I thought it was interesting to note that breakfast places are becoming a huge trend especially now that we have more people in the call center industry that finish their shift at the wee hours of the morning.
So, I did my research and here are 5 best breakfast places in Manila (Thank you Kei!)
1. Ilustrado Cafe – Located at Intramuros, Ilustrado cafe definitely lives up to its reputation as one of the best restaurants in the country. The ambiance alone is worth the travel (if you’re from QC) – it’s romantic and historical and the food is wonderful.
Its breakfast menu is mostly Filipino and they only serve it at the Coffee Shop area, which by my standards, is much better than to have it at the main dining area. Breakfast is supposed to be light and relaxed. We recommend the Filipino breakfast and then for dessert, you must try their sampaguita ice cream! They also have ginger ice cream but personally, I think it’s an acquired taste. The best part? Breakfast is served from 8AM – 6PM
2. The Chocolate Kiss Cafe – An institution at the university of the Philippines, The Chocolate Kiss was primarily known as a cake shop and boy are their cakes divine! For 10 years, they’ve evolved into a cafe/diner that offers delicious home style cooked meals and now, even breakfast! They also have opened a second branch in A. Roces Avenue although nothing beats going to the first location.
Although they have a limited breakfast menu, they are still worth the trek and they are delicious. We personally recommend the blueberry pancakes (nice and fluffy!) and the Spanish omelet! Breakfast is served at their cafe area from 7 to 10 in the morning.
The chocolate kiss cafe is at the Bahay ng Alumni, University of the Philippines – Diliman, Quezon City. Operating hours are from Monday to Sunday, from 7 am – 10 PM. Call them up at 4333782 / 4347430 or visit their website at www.thechocolatekiss.com
3. Harbor View Restaurant – Although they technically serve brunch, harbor View made it to the list simply because of the wonderful view they have while you’re dining. Whenever I have my balikbayan friends over, I always take them here for the fresh seafood and the great view. They’ve put their dining area at the edge of the beach, supported by huge trunks and wood. The sunset view here is absolutely to die for!
Harbor View Restaurant is located at South Gate A, Rizal Park, Manila. They’re open from 11 AM until midnight, daily. For reservations and inquiries, call them at 5241532 or 5322019.
4. Something Fishy – One of the most popular breakfast buffet places in Manila, Something fishy started their breakfast buffet with P80. Due to inflation and a myriad of other reasons, they now have raised the price to P114 per person. It’s still a great bargain though as the choices are plenty and the atmosphere is still nice and homey. It can get a little noisy at times because they do cater to the party and call center crowd.
The buffet starts at midnight and ends at 10 AM. If you add P35 to your bill, you can get bottomless (or refillable) iced tea to go with your meal. We suggest that you come in at specific times (like midnight, 5 am and 7 am) as these are the times they bring in the freshly cooked food.
Something Fishy is located at 118-E E. Rodriguez Jr Ave., Eastwood City Walk 2, Quezon City. For more infor, call them at 4216412.
5. Aristocrat Malate – Aristocrat is a revered institution when it comes to Filipino dining, be it breakfast, merienda, lunch of dinner! Their branch at Malate (near the church) is as famous for their food as it is as a landmark.
They are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will serve you all kinds of Filipino cuisine! We recommend that you try the daing na bangus, tapa and tocino for breakfast. Garlic rice is still the best partner for these viands and it still comes with their famous atchara. Of course, if you want to have lechon kawali or crispy pata for breakfast, they’ll do that for you too.
Aristocrat is located at the corners of Roxas Blvd and San Andres Sts in Malate. It’s next to the Malate church. Call them up at 5247671 for more information.
If you don’t want to drive and prefer to find accommodations within or near these areas, check these hotels out:
White Knight Hotel Intramuros – For the traveler who would prefer to be in the middle of everything there is in Intramuros, the White Knight hotel is the best options. The rooms are basic but clean and museums and shops are within walking distance.
Lotus Garden Hotel – Conveniently located within Manila’s commercial and business districts, The Lotus Garden Hotel can provide travelers with comfortable sleeping and resting places at an affordable price.
Not quite what you were looking for? You can search for more hotels in Manila by clicking here.